This tumbled marbled stone coaster has an image of the Michigan Central Depot, taken on September 20, 1969.
The Michigan Central Station (also known as Michigan Central Depot or MCS) was the main intercity passenger rail depot in Detroit, Michigan. Built for the Michigan Central Railroad, it replaced the original depot in downtown Detroit, which was shuttered after a major fire on December 26, 1913, forcing the still unfinished station into early service. Formally dedicated on January 4, 1914, the station remained open for business until the cessation of Amtrak service on January 6, 1988. Comprising a train depot and 18-story office tower with a roof height of 230 feet, it was the tallest rail station in the world at the time of its construction. The building is located in the Corktown district of Detroit near the Ambassador Bridge, approximately 3⁄4 mi southwest of downtown Detroit. Restoration projects and plans have gone as far as the negotiation process, but none has come to fruition as of yet.
Each coaster's image is officially licensed by The Detroit News and comes from their archives. Each coaster also has a Detroit News hologram sticker adhered to bottom of each tile.
Each coaster has a fade resistant image and a cork backing to protect your furniture.
Dimensions: 3 7/8" x 3 7/8" x 3/8" with a smooth edge
Made in the USA.
A great gift for Detroit boosters!