Diego Rivera was commissioned by the Detroit Institute of Arts, with funds from Edsel Ford (the son of automaker Henry Ford), to paint the walls of the institute's garden court. Rivera studied workers at the Ford plant in nearby Dearborn to produce the murals, twenty-seven panels that Rivera completed in eleven months, April 1932-March 1933. The massive work is considered the finest example of the Mexican muralist's work in the United States, and Rivera thought the Detroit murals to be his most successful work.
This panoramic magnet featuring the South Wall of the fresco series, titled Detroit Industry, was made especially for the exhibition, Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo in Detroit on view through July 12, 2015.
Magnet measures approximately 5 1/2 x 2 1/4 inches.