2018 Holiday Gift Guide
The DIA Shop presents the 2018 Holiday Gift Guide featuring our favorite gifts for the season inspired by the rich materials and styles found in the collection of the Detroit Institute of Arts!
2. This contemporary silk scarf is inspired by Piet Mondrian's style of painting composed only of primary colors against a grid of black vertical and horizontal lines and a white base background.
3. The Balloon Dog Bank gives function to a whimsical form, an homage to the work of Jeff Koons. Available in a rainbow of colors.
4. With fun, full-color illustrations and a lively text, "Artists and Their Pets" will delight both art buffs and pet enthusiasts. Featured artists include da Vinci, Kahlo, Pollock, Dali and others!
5. Inspired by the "Detroit Industry" murals by Mexican muralist Diego Rivera, this silk tie is available in three colors.
6. An homage to the cubist movement? Or reminiscent of the primary colors and square shapes made famous by Mondrian. Either way, these multi-colored Cube and Chain Earrings are a work of modernist art in their own right!
7. Rainy days just became something to look forward to thanks to this mesmerizing, Holographic Umbrella. Straight out of the future, the waterproof fabric is both see-through and iridescent. With a one-button open and super-strong ribbing, it holds up to any weather.
8. This sweet, hand-made Frida Kahlo Doll, with beautiful stitching and colorful dress, pays cuddly tribute to the iconic Mexican artist. Kahlo accompanied husband Diego Rivera to Detroit while he completed the "Detroit Industry" Murals. Get the matching Diego Rivera Doll and you'll have quite the famous pair!
9. For millenia, jewelry has played an important role in civilizations around the world. The timeless look of gold encircling the wrist has been made new again in this classic 24 karat gold dipped Wire Cuff Bracelet.
10. Innovative vegan leather sewn from geometric shapes materialize as a modern satchel in the perfect purple.
11. With Swiss movement and distinctive style, the Mason Watch serves as a connection to the natural marble from which it is made, a material used for centuries in art and architecture. Suitable for men or women!
12. With premium-quality drawing paper, this over-sized Artists' Coloring Book contains precise representations of masterpieces by Vincent van Gogh. The DIA was the first U.S. museum to own arworks by the now beloved giant of the art world.
13. More is more! With monumental proportions, this Architectural Jubilee Mug is inspired by the stylistic nuances of the intricate bas-relief friezes that adorn buildings of different eras around the world. This one is called "Olympia". Shop the entire assortment to mix and match!
14. In homage to the use of marble in the architecture of the DIA, this elegant bowl is made by hand by a Turkish glass-maker. Food safe, the platter can be used to serve your favorite holiday recipes, or simply display as a decorative element.
15. He will travel in style with a place to keep his toiletries in this neat dopp kit made of durable automotive seat belts.
16. Lightweight, water repellent and wrinkle-proof, this rain cape is must for travelers and anyone who hates getting caught out by an unexpected storm. Adorned with Monet's vision of his rose garden, it is one of four available patterns.
17. Designed and strung by hand in Massachusetts, the extra long Rainbow Trilogy Necklace is made of richly colored, elegantly detailed glass tiles known as 'Picasso Windows' made in the Bohemian style in the Czech Republic, and can be worn in a multitude of ways, offering maximum versatilty.
18. Sculptural art that moves! The Tangle kinetic sculpture derives its essence from the concept of infinite energy and was inspired by the Tibetan Infinite Knot.
19. For devotees to the "Detroit Industry" frescoes at the DIA, one could not ask for a more comprehensive study of Rivera’s oeuvre. "Diego Rivera: The Complete Murals" is a lavish volume not to be missed.
20. Set of six different domed magnets, each featuring a detail from the innovative leaded glass work by Louis Comfort Tiffany.
21. Perfect for open-ended play, this set of Magna-Tiles are translucent and brightly colored, like stained glass! Children have fun while absorbing math and science concepts.